Health Benefits of Omega-3
Omega-3 is a fatty acid that is needed by the body but it can’t make and synthesized. Therefore, the body may need to rely from outside sources to be able to get it and make it useful for the body.
Sources of Omega-3
Omega-3 can be sourced from different marine life and from other plant resources but the most common is the fish oil. Fish oil can be consumed naturally, can be taken from lots of different fishes but it can also be taken from supplements made of fish oil extracted from fatty oily fish.
Known fish oil sources include the following:
- Sword fish
The fishes in the ocean though aren’t just the marine life alone that can give omega-3. Other known omega-3 sources are krill and calamari. The krill are the tiny shrimp like creatures, primary food source of whales and calamari is another name for a squid.
Benefits of Omega-3
Omega-3 is known to render so many benefits since it has become famous and known all over the world as supplementary source of nutrients. Most of its benefits has been anchored in so many studies and some has been proven, some still under researches.
Its famous benefits for the will be listed below.
- Helps prevent heart disease. Omega-3 is known to be of benefit for the heart and its related functioning. Heart disease is known to be benefited by the omega-3 supplementation. It helps in regulating irregular heartbeat, prevents strokes and reduces the chance of sudden heart attacks due to plaque buildup in the artery or atherosclerosis.
- LDL and increase HDL. The LDL or the low density lipoprotein (bad cholesterol) and the HDL or high density lipoprotein (good cholesterol) are the two types of cholesterol in the body. The body needs to lower the former to reduce disease and increase the latter to help the system perform better. Omega-3 is known to reduce triglycerides. This has been proven in a study of people who have higher fish consumption than others.
- Aids in diabetes. Those who eat fish more tend to less likely develop type two diabetes. Omega-3 is known to increase insulin sensitivity. It is also known to aid in the type one diabetes hand in hand with other medications.
- Helps in arthritis. Fish oil and its omega-3 are known to significantly reduce the stiffness of the arthritis plus it can lessen the joint pain. This can be due to the aid of the anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3.
- Reduces depression. Omega-3 has known properties which can reduce mental illness. It is known to help in lowering depression levels. It reduces mood swings and helps aid in the anti-depressants. Omega-3 benefits have been likened into the effectiveness of Prozac .
- Lowers risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s. Since omega-3 has high benefits of the brain, it can help in the lowering the risk of a person well supplemented of the fatty acid, in developing dementia and even prevent Alzheimer’s.
- Slows aging. According to a study conducted by The Journal of the American Medical Association, aging can be slowed down through the regular intake of omega-3. The reason behind is due to the telomeres. Omega-3 has components that can stop the shortening of telomeres, the fuse end of everybody’s DNA also, omega-3 helps in stopping cellular aging as well.
- Helps children with ADHD. Omega-3 has this effect with kids that have ADHD in terms of learning and behavior. Kids with ADHD may benefit from omega-3’s DHA since it assists the brain functioning, helps in learning and improves concentration which in return helps in behavior management.
- Aids in children with autism. Children and people with autism have a significant low level of omega-3 fatty acids in their blood compared to those who are normal. It has been known and now a complementary use now to have omega-3 in the medical and nutritional therapy of people with the condition since it helps in better behavior and better concentration plus it reduces other aberrant behaviors.
- Helps reduce hypertension. Omega-3 is known to inversely help against hypertension.
- Aids in eye health. Aids from its cardiovascular benefits, omega-3 is next known for its benefit for eye health. It helps reduce eye problems and may aid in the current existing ones.
- Inhibits cancer cell growth. Study shows omega-3 has properties which can help suppress the growth of breast cancer cells as well as its metastasis.
- Helps reduce the risk of pneumonia. Also, omega-3 has a good benefit in the lungs which helps strengthen it.
And there are more. Omega-3 has more far reaching benefits. The above ones are the more general benefits. Omega-3 can be pinpointed for various specific illnesses like bipolar disorder, macular degeneration, allergic rhinitis, glaucoma, osteoarthritis, pulmonary hypertension, bronchial asthma, cardiac dysfunction, chronic hepatitis C, cystic fibroses and others.
Another key to achieve these benefits though may include your choice of omega-3 supplement to take every day. Your doctor may have some opinion about this. For caution though, omega-3 supplements such as fish oil may not be recommended for those who have daily intake of aspirin since it is a blood thinner and may induce bleeding.